- Tell the story of the “Hare and the Tortoise” as motivation or preliminary activity. Ask the children who moved fast or slow. Let them imitate the actions of the animals in fast and slow movement.
- Show pictures of persons or animals doing fast and slow movements.
- Show a video clip of a person or a child singing fast and slow songs. You can find a lot of these on Youtube. Examples of this include The Voice Kids audition pieces such as this. Let them identify those who sang fast and slow.
- Let them listen to an instrumental music. Ask them to identify which parts have a fast or slow tempo. You may download a sample of this here.
- Present some songs and let them follow and learn the songs. Here is a list of Filipino and English songs you can use to teach the concept:
With fast tempo:
Tongtongtong Pakitong kitong
Leron Leron Sinta
Jack and Jill
May tatlong Bibe
With slow tempo:
Ako ay may lobo
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Do you have more lesson ideas to share? Feel free to share here.